Friday, July 5, 2013

Starting Fresh -2013

Friday July 5, 2013

It feels like summer now as I finally sit here on the beach.  The kids are enjoying exploring the shore and I hear faint squeals of  excitement mixed with fear as they find unique looking seaweed from the Atlantic Ocean.  We are staying at Twin Shores, PEI with our trailer.  Few things were forgotten at home as we packed for days.  We could last all summer!   I would say the trailer is a bit full, but with clothes and food for 7 plus a dog, I'm not sure I could have packed any lighter!

We rested well last night.  We are on a piece of land that has two beaches, one facing the ocean side and another with access to a bay.  Last night when we arrived Caleb was thrilled to find a hockey game being played in the tennis court.  Kalyssa was dressed this morning for Tennis lessons and Cadence was planning the group craft time next week.  Kianna and Cassia said they may join in on the make your own sundae activity and Kianna also clearly stated that shuffleboard looked boring. So many options.  It's a beautiful place.

We arrived yesterday after an eventful but safe trip.  God is so good.

As Cadence had a cast on her leg our trip was delayed four days.  Everything happens for a reason.  Finally getting in the road we travelled 20 minutes before realizing we might like our passports to travel through the states.  We unhooked the trailer and I travelled home with the kayak on the roof to fetch them.  After a windy drive home, I glanced to the roof to see a crooked and very loose kayak.  With muscle and the neighbours help we managed to put it in the truck.  First small miracle.

After that is was smooth sailing. The kayak went inside the trailer so we didn't worry.  Throughout the winding roads of Vermont and Maine we spotted a moose and many deer.  Back roads were not the best for the trailer, but it was beautiful countryside.  We weren't in a rush, but wanted to get there. 

We arrived in New Brunswick to Inn on the Cove (1371 Sand Cove Rd Saint John,  New Brunswick. ) It is no longer an inn, and looks very different from when I was a girl, but the location, the flowers, the bay all were very exciting to see.  This started one scary adventure, of which I'll share for healing and thankfulness.  We began a walk towards a path to enter the beach area.  As a family we never seem to be able to move fast as we were all squished in the car.  Kianna, now 14, wanted to freshen up after a long trip and make a sandwich as she's growing.  She didn't  really tell us that and I didn't realize and the she wasn't  right behind me.  About 3 minutes later I asked Adam to go back and check on her as I was anxious to put my feet in sand.  I continued to the beach with the other kids.  He thought she may be skipping out on the walk and trying to read a book, but she was no where to be found.  Panic set in slowly, but we were calm still.  Adam and I began hollering across the shore to see why he hasn't come down, I heard nothing. We were battling with the roar of the waves.  I gathered the kids and headed back to the parking lot.  I gathered that Adam left to search but he and I had no communication.  Our phones were turned off while we passed through the states and when I called him, I found it ringing in the car.  Thirty minutes had passed now...prayer circle by the trailer led by little Kalyssa.  We weren't worried about the water, she's smart, just about everything else sinful in the world.  As I began to dial 911, I realized the fear a mother always carries was now in my heart.  As I communicated on the phone, I think I glimpsed Adam way down the road also using a strangers phone.  Kindly, so many stopped and began searching with us as it was so rare for Kianna. I didn't even know what clothes she had changed in to or if she changed.  The Irving Park trail is quite long and we did not know which part she entered, Adam began running the entire trail, not realizing there were short cuts. He came back with nothing and began again.  Flip flops, previously torn shoulder pain ...

To calm your hearts, Kianna came smiling up the path with a woman and her dog about 5 minutes later.  Total of 45 minutes gone.  She had not even heard our screams of fear as we called her name.  I had no voice left.  She assumed we were in front of her as she thought  she was heading to the beach.  The other kids were very scared and I was so thankful for the couple who stayed with our children on the grass while we were searching.  Yes, never again.  We walk together!  Poor Adam was not in ear shot and continued to look for 10 more minutes while we embraced Kianna.  When he returned, all was well.  I'll leave it there and say we are very grateful to the many who shared their time to support and search with us.  No one wants any child to go missing, but everyone wants an ending like ours, no matter the stress.  The Lord blessed us greatly again.




No comments: